Hey Dad, try this easy recipe for your cookout
It’s great to be in the backyard grilling again. But don’t want another hamburger? Here’s an easy recipe for your next cookout. Dad will be the hero again!
What you’ll need:
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced into rings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices provolone cheese
What you’ll do:
1. In a small bowl, combine sliced avocado and lemon juice. Add water to cover; set aside. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
2. Heat butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions until browned and caramelized; set aside.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place on grill, and cook until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side. Place buns on grill just long enough to toast them.
4. Spread buns with mayonnaise to taste, then layer with chicken, caramelized onion, provolone and avocado.
Two simple steps to make sure you're grilling healthy
1. Get that grill cleaned!
Scrub it with hot, soapy water. And when you’re ready to cook, make sure the grill is heated up sufficiently. This will eliminate potential bacteria problems.
2. Have the right tools on hand.
Relying on color alone does not ensure the doneness of meat, poultry and fish. A food thermometer is the only way to ensure food has been cooked to a safe internal temperature.
Throw some veggies on the grill
The most important step you can take to lose weight is to avoid the un-healthy foods in your diet and eat a lot more nutrient-rich vegetables. And what's better than some grilled veggies?