Protect your pet
No matter how much they beg, don’t give your pet any Halloween candy. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. The risk depends on how much chocolate is consumed, the type of chocolate consumed, and the weight of the dog. The toxicity is highest in cocoa powder, followed by unsweetened bakers chocolate, then semisweet, dark, and milk chocolate. Learn the signs of chocolate poisoning and if you suspect your dog has eaten some, contact your vet or Pet Poison Control immediately. Candy wrappers are dangerous too as they can get stuck in your pet’s digestive tract. So, keep an eye on your dog when your kids are surveying their loot. This is when the “leave it” command is critical. If you and your dog don’t already know it, learn it. It’s easy.